Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Oh No She Didn't!

Marie Claire Magazine sucks ass. Why, you might ask? Sit back, get comfy and grab a drink. I am good and pissed and ready to rant.


This is in response to Maura Kelly’s blog post on the Marie Claire site titled, “Should “Fatties” get a room? (Even on TV?)”. Kelly writes,

“…I think I’d be grossed out if I had to watch two characters with rolls and rolls of fat kiss each other…because I’d be grossed out if I had to watch them doing anything. To be brutally honest, even in real life, I find it displeasing to watch a very, very fat person simply walk across a room…”

No Maura, you’re not being “brutally honest”, you’re just being brutal. Some definitions of brutal from Dictionary.com include: savage, cruel, inhuman, ferocious and, my personal favorite, of or pertaining to lower animals. She tells us that she is not “some size-ist jerk”. She says she even has “a few friends who could be called plump”. Wow Maura, how benevolent you are to count them amongst your friends. And this despite the fact that their very existence grosses you out. How blessed they must feel! I’m sure they believe the Gods of Good Fortune have smiled down upon them for you to set aside your disgust, and lower yourself to allow them to breathe your air.

In another blog post Kelly, recounting her experience with anorexia writes,

“I'm always worried that I'm not attractive enough, smart enough, young enough, successful enough for someone to love me.” She closes the account of her battle with, “Finally, though, I do feel thin enough.”

The article never tells us if she beat anorexia. With that attitude, I’m guessing not. Nice going Marie Claire. What idiot editor authorized this drivel? What's more, who's the genius who decided to categorize it under Sex & Relationships/Living Flirtatiously? It’s bad enough that the magazine industry floods us with messages that tell us we’re not good enough unless we look like the airbrushed models in their pages, but now this! Seriously? I recall a radio interview with Rebecca Romjin where she referred to her own airbrushed image and mused that it was sad to know that she herself could never look that good.

Kelly goes on to condescendingly add, “I’m happy to give you some nutrition and fitness suggestions if you need them…” Earth to Maura Kelly! Yes, even obese people know the path to weight loss is to eat less and exercise more. The thing is, once you’ve reached a certain level of obesity, the weight seems like an impenetrable wall. This is why people make the cover of People Magazine with headlines that say, “I lost 105 pounds without surgery!” If it was easy, they wouldn’t be on the cover. Do you see headlines that read, “I lowered my blood pressure and cholesterol levels”? No, you don’t, and you probably never will because it’s not nearly the enormous feat that losing the equilvalent of an Olsen twin (or two) is. Weight loss is a bitch.

Kelly gives a half-assed kudos to the TV couple in question when she writes, “Then again, I guess these characters are in Overeaters Anonymous. So … points for trying?” Fuck you Maura Kelly.

In case you’re wondering why this post has my panties in such a twist, this is why: In five days I will celebrate the fifth anniversary of my gastric bypass. I originally lost 80 pounds, gained back twenty-five and, recently, lost 10 more. Clearly gastric bypass is not a quick fix. I still struggle with the issues that put the weight on in the first place. But now I’m not coming from such an insurmountable place.

Despite the fact that I am now 65 pounds lighter than my highest weight, I still have to put up with people who, like Maura Kelly, say things like, “Well, you not done losing weight are you?” or “You really should go back to the gym.” Wake up people! I KNOW that I could still stand to lose another 20 pounds. But so long as my glucose levels and blood pressure are in a healthy range, I am not going to beat myself up for it. I’m sure Maura Kelly and the folks at Marie Claire would love to do that for me.



p.s. A big thank you to The Sassy Curmudgeon for her scathing commentary on this subject.

6 comments:

  1. Well, hmmmmm... I am sick and tired of people judging others based on their weight. It doesn't make her better than anyone else because she weighs less, but it certainly seems to make her meaner. I'd rather be fat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know I think you are a stunning beauty!
    I may just have to steal this post and stick it up on FB.....
    Love you!
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  3. glad to see you put your blog back up, it is always worth reading, entertaining, and lives up to it's title!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good work!! People can be so bad, you wonder what goes on in their mind, if they have one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent Post. Janina, you are beautiful!
    Sickening the crap mags like that feed young women. It's no wonder eating disorders are at an all time high.
    Hugs,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, there's a difference in being brutally honest and being brutal. You nailed it.

    ReplyDelete